In April, MM2020 proposed a hybrid model to deliver broadband service to all rural areas of Mississippi Mills. The Municipality of Mississippi Mills is being asked by MM2020 to make available a loan to a broadband service provider, to cover front-end infrastructure costs. The Municipality of Mississippi Mills and Lanark County are also being asked to approve the installation of fibre cable in the shoulder of Municipal and County roads, instead of using poles. Both of these ideas are expected to generate new income for local government, while providing residents of rural Mississippi Mills with the same basic service that our urban neighbors receive.
A refresh of the MM2020.ca website was completed in late April.
The MM2020 Clayton Working Group was also active in April and we have the following results to report:
- A presentation was made to Mississippi Mills Council on April 17th about our community survey. We also met with the Lanark County Warden and CAO the following day. We are making it clear to local elected officials that residents in the Clayton area are fed up with our poor internet and cell services.
- We received completed surveys from another 115 residents in April. Our community survey has now been completed by 371 residents, representing 276 of the 600 households in our study area (46%). Responses have also been received from 60 households outside our study area.
- New Clayton resident Scott Taymun has offered to coordinate a communications and stakeholder engagement strategy to help us build the case for better Internet and Cellular services with the community, service providers and government. Scott prepared an article for the May issue of theHumm.
- First meeting of the Town of Mississippi Mills Rural Broadband committee is being held on May 2nd.
- MM2020 presentation to Lanark County Corporate Services Committee on May 9th.
- Community BBQ on Thursday May 31st at 5pm (Clayton Community Centre) to celebrate our project.
- Our target is to have at least 75% of the 600 homes in our study area respond to the survey.
- Find volunteers to canvas portions of Clayton Road, Gleeson Road and Ramsey Concessions 1, 3A and 4B.